Thursday, October 27, 2011

La Mediterranee

2210 Fillmore St
San Francisco, CA 94115

Occasion: Catch up dinner session with Michelle.  It's been way too long. We ordered the Mediterranean Meza for two which includes a tasting of 10 of their house specialties. *Pictures courtesy of Michelle* 10.12.11

Dolma grape leaves,  Armenian potato salad and Levant Sandwiches filled with cream cheese, herbs, cucumbers, carrots, lettuce, feta cheese & tomato rolled in levantine bread
The dolma was a little overly sour for my liking, don't get me wrong, some people love it that way, but not me.  I loved the armenian potato salad.  I love the combination of flavors and the fact that they added cilantro in it.  Levant sandwiches weren't too bad either, though I wasn't a fan of the cream cheese.  The levant bread reminded me of a tortilla wrap/ pita bread.  I liked how it was flat but it still had a little bit of cushion to it.
 Hummus, Baba Ghanoush, Tabuleh
It was decent, but I think I like the ones at King of Falafel better.  The baba ghanoush was missing something...perhaps a garlic flavor?  Anyhow, I still ate it with the pita bread they brought out with it.  It's really good finger food especially when you're busy talking and catching up.
Pomegranate Chicken and Lamb Lule served over Rice Pilaf
Pomegranate chicken is marinated in pomegranate sauce and baked with wild herbs.  Chicken was really moist and not dry.  The pomegranate sauce added a slight sweetness to the chicken and I thought it was delicious.  Lamb lule was made with local, grass-fed lean ground lamb meatballs with parsley, spices, onions & tomatoes.  I can handle lamb and the supposed gamey-ness of it, but I didn't think it was too gamey here.  Between the two I liked the chicken better.


Grecian Spinach & Feta Fillo Dough made with a delicious mixture of Spinach, Onions, Almonds & Feta Cheese and the Chicken Cilicia made with Cinnamon-spiced Chicken with Almonds, Chickpeas & Raisins 
They were both freaking amazing. I enjoyed the flaky fillo dough that wrapped around each of these.  I can't decide which one I like more as they're both good in their own ways.  The savory spinach and feta cheese is light and not too filling.  The chicken cilicia surprised me with their sweet cinnamon taste.  It was savory, yet sweet at the same time.  Both really good.

No comments:

Post a Comment